Sunday, August 14, 2011

Adventures with Shakespeare: King Lear

In the spring of 2010, Shakespeare Players performed King Lear, and I was recruited as costumes mistress. This involved working closely with the directors to develop a costuming strategy: style, colors for different noble houses in the play, how to highlight characters' personalities in the costume choices. We constructed a higher number of costumes for this production than usual, simply because we were working with a time period unusual for Shakespeare Players: ancient Britain. I dealt with measurements, developed the patterns, and then readjusted them when I realized that I had underestimated the amount of ease required in a tunic. I worked with the seamstresses to coordinate sewing of garments, sewed several myself, organized the costuming area backstage, and laundered costumes between performances. In short, it was a taxing job, but rewarding in the end. Although I couldn't make everything authentic and some costumes were pulled from other (later) time periods I was still pleased with the overall look of the costumes and how they contributed to the feel of the play.

The whole cast

The House of Gloucester

Lear and his daughters

The extended royal family: Cornwall (dark red), Albany (purple and gray), and France (blue)

Lear with Kent and the Fool
Lords and servants

No comments:

Post a Comment